Here Come New Ideas for Move Out/Bond Cleaning
For everyone moving out of their rented property in Australia, you probably have heard about the mandatory cleaning of your space before leaving. It is called move-out or bond cleaning. It is also otherwise referred to as end-of-lease cleaning.
Consider taking up the cleaning yourself. Still, most of the time, because of your busy schedule, you must get professionals specializing in end-of-lease cleaning to get your deposit back.
End-of-lease cleaning is also often booked by landlords or people who want to put their property on the market, whether for sale or rent.
In this article, we will learn about end-of-lease cleaning, the areas required to professionally clean the place, and answer some of the most frequently asked questions about bond cleaning.
What is Bond Cleaning?
End-of-lease or bond cleaning is something that property managers ask the tenants to do when the lease ends and they are about to move out. According to the Residential Tenancies Authority in Queensland, this cleaning activity is the tenant’s responsibility since they need to leave the property in the same conditions as during leasing, minus wear and tear.
The entry condition report is the point of reference to understand the original condition of the unit or house. As a tenant, you must have a copy of this document as it notes down the property’s condition at the time of leasing.
This document includes photographs of its condition to ensure that the landlord does not cut the deposit unfairly and acknowledges the pre-existing problems on the property. Tenants should refer to this document now and then until they vacate the premises.
When the tenant is ready to hand over the property, the property manager or the landlord inspects the unit and checks its condition. They will not return the bond money if they find the cleanliness unacceptable.
Getting your bond back can be stressful, especially with a picky landlord. They want the property returned in the same condition it was moved in.
Therefore, you must get the end-of-lease cleaning done by a reputed company with professional and experienced cleaners. Getting a good bond cleaner will relieve stress because they know what the property manager wants in an end-of-lease cleaning.
Bond Cleaning vs. Regular Cleaning
Bond cleaning involves retrieving a hefty amount of money the owner can withhold if unsatisfied with the cleaning. Once the tenancy is over and the tenant is moving out, the uncertainty of whether they will get the bond money is stressful. The tenants often face a dispute with the landlord or property manager on the standard of cleaning the property.
A normal cleaning has nothing to do with money but more with cleanliness. There is no landlord or property manager to satisfy. In short, bond cleaning only applies to rental property, while regular cleaning is for everyone.
Aside from the money involved, the difference between regular and bond cleaning lies in professional cleaners’ tools. Bond cleaners use the latest equipment, including vacuum, floor sanders, specialized machines, scrubbers, dryers, and polishers.
Regular cleaning needs basic cleaning equipment, as comprehensive cleaning is not needed. Most of the tools people use in regular cleaning are found in homes.
Regular cleaning requires basic cleaning only, while bond cleaning requires a comprehensive property clean-up. Professionals use an approved checklist to cover all areas on the property.
This comprehensive bond-cleaning checklist ensures that nothing is amiss in the task that can be a source of contention with the property manager during the final inspection. In regular cleaning, there is no checklist to follow.
The Bond Refund Process in Australia
The most significant purpose of the bond is to serve as insurance to ensure that the owner will not bear the financial burden at the end of the tenancy to cover the cleaning, damage to property, etc.
In Australia, collecting a bond and returning it at the end of the tenancy is different in every state. But the objective and some parts of the process are common. For example, the bond is usually held by an authority. The refund can be applied online or at the office once the tenants have vacated the unit or home and returned the keys.
The signature of both the tenant and the owner on the form to return the bond is needed in the application for a bond refund. That means both parties are given a fair chance to contest the release of the bond.
Bond Cleaning Requirements
As we mentioned earlier, each landlord or property manager has their requirements for end-of-lease cleaning. However, tenants have cleaning responsibilities that they need to do before vacating the premises.
- Professional carpet cleaning. For those with pets and children on their lease property, the landlord expects you to get the carpets professionally cleaned.
- Flea treatment. This is included when you have furry pets on your rented property. There should be no traces of the animals when you move out. Aside from hiring professional carpet cleaners, you must hire a professional pest control technician to avoid problems with the property manager or landlord.
- Cleaning according to the checklist. At the beginning of the lease, you are provided with a checklist. Professional cleaning experts use an industry-approved checklist but can cross-reference the tasks with the landlord’s checklist.
Importance of Bond Cleaning Services
Hiring professionals for bond cleaning has plenty of benefits both to the tenant and landlord. On average, the cost of bond cleaning services in Australia is around $30 per hour. For a two-bedroom unit, you can pay around $250, and $400 for a three-bedroom property.
Here are the reasons why you should use professionals for bond cleaning:
- Aside from being an obligation to leave the property clean, end-of-lease cleaning is also necessary to leave a clean and tidy home at the end of the tenancy. You are expected to clean up all your mess and leave a positive impression on the property owner.
- Hiring professionals can ensure no disputes, and you will part ways without hard feelings.
- Another benefit of hiring end-of-lease cleaning is thorough cleaning. The bond cleaning professionals know the areas in the house where the dirt is hiding. They will use the checklist and visit all corners where dirt and grime are.
- When dealing with bond cleaning companies, you will notice that they are highly organized. To illustrate further, bond cleaners know where to start and where to end when doing the tasks.
The Ultimate Bond Cleaning Checklist
Living Room and Bedroom
- Gently remove and clean all light fittings.
- Dust ceiling fan
- Wash the walls and remove stains.
- Clean windows, sills, curtains, and blinds
- Clean all the light switches.
- Remove covers and dust all vents.
- Sweep and mop the hardwood flooring.
- Have your carpets professionally cleaned, and keep the receipts.
- Wipe down the outside and inside of all cabinets.
- Remove and replace all the torn liners.
- Wipe away the grease from the oven (parts and door)
- Clean all the appliances inside out.
- Clean all the windows, sills, and screens
- Wipe down the counters and backsplash.
- Clean the sink and taps.
- Wash all the cupboards, drawers, and shelves inside out. Remove all scuff marks.
- Remove streaks from mirrors and windows
- Scrub the shower, bathtub, and screens. Remove all the soap scum build-up and replace the shower curtain, if needed.
- Clean the cistern and toilet bowl
- Clean the sinks and faucets.
- Mop the entire floor, including the hard-to-reach corners.
- Clean the areas around the washer and dryer. Remove the lint from the filters.
- Wash cupboards, drawers, and shelves
- Clean the machines and remove all the dust from the hoses and connections.
- Sweep and mop the floors.
- Remove the boxes from the carport or garage. Leave only the supplies that were there when you first arrived.
- Remove the cobwebs and dust from the ceiling, walls, and shelves.
- Pressure wash the ground to remove oil stains.
- Empty all the bins
The article has covered all the major things you should know about end-of-lease cleaning. While you can clean the rented property before leaving, the attention to detail required by the landlord is hard to fulfill. It requires proper techniques, or you may not get your bond.
That is why you need to get your end-of-lease cleaning done by professionals like Effly offers. Hiring professional cleaners from this company will free up your time and ensure that the job is done to the landlord’s satisfaction so you can get your bond back.
Julie is a passionate writer a mother of three kids and a dedicated cleaning enthusiast, eager to share valuable insights and practical tips on maintaining a clean and organized home. With a deep understanding of the challenges of maintaining a tidy living space, Julie has spent years honing its expertise in cleaning methods, organizing techniques, and sustainable practices.